Considering joining the EV revolution or already own an electric car? Find out everything you need to know about electric car charging at home.
What is EV charging?
Electric Vehicle (EV) charging refers to the process of recharging the battery of an EV with electricity. Just like your smartphone, an EV needs charging to function and keep you on the road. Unlike petrol and diesel vehicles though, you don’t need to visit a station to fill up the tank!
Can you charge an EV at home?
Absolutely! Home charging is one of the most convenient and popular methods of charging an EV, allowing you to charge your vehicle during the day or through the night. To be able to charge in the comfort of your own home, you will need to have a home EV charger installation.
What should I think about when getting an EV charger installed?
When considering a home EV charger installation, there are a few key factors to bear in mind:
- Charger Type: Some cars are provided with chargers which plug into your standard 3 pin socket, but these are incredibly slow and designed for temporary or emergency use only. Instead, a ‘wall box’ charger like Cord’s will offer faster charging speeds but requires professional installation.
- Charging Speed: The charging speed varies based on the charger type you select. 3 pin chargers (Level 1) provide a slower charging rate, while 'wall box' (Level 2) chargers offer quicker charging times. The size of your EV’s battery will also determine how quickly it can reach full capacity, and charging from empty will of course take longer than topping up.
- Location: A 'wall box' charger will be mounted on one of your home’s exterior walls, so you need to select a suitable location for its installation. This should be close to your EV parking spot for convenience.
- Power Capacity: Ensure your home's electrical system can handle the additional power requirements of an EV charger. Professional installation and a home survey will guarantee the setup meets safety standards and works efficiently.
- Choose Wisely: Your EV charger will need to be fitted by an electrician so make sure you choose wisely. Cord electricians are all qualified to install home EV chargers safely and efficiently. We even offer up to a 5 year warranty to cover you if anything goes wrong.
What EV charger can I install at home?
Choosing the right EV charger for your home is essential for a seamless charging experience. Cord’s home EV charger is compatible with almost all electric vehicles and can charge at 7.4kW. This is the maximum rate that most homes can charge at. You can find out more about the types of EV chargers and connectors here.
How easy is it to install an EV charger at home?
Installing an EV charger is a complex job made to look easy by a qualified electrician. With Cord’s 3 step process, you can relax knowing your EV charger will be installed in as little as 2 weeks.
How much does it cost to charge an EV at home?
Charging an electric car at home is typically more cost-effective compared to using public charging stations, however the precise cost depends on your electricity provider and your EV's battery capacity. To get an idea of how much it will cost you, we’ve created a handy look up tool
Is EV charging at home safe?
Home charging is completely safe if installed by a qualified electrician. At Cord we use a national team of electricians to install our EV chargers. We ensure they are safely installed in line with the UK Smart Charging Regulations, and the chargers themselves undergo rigorous testing to meet stringent safety standards, ensuring your charging experience is secure and reliable. All EVs also include on-board technology to ensure that it is safe to charge the vehicle.
How fast can I charge at home?
The charging speed at home varies depending on the charger type and your EV's battery capacity. Most homes can charge a car up to 7.4kW - or more simply, overnight whilst you sleep. It can be faster to charge a car using a public charge point as these use a different charging method (DC), typically not available from a home. Use our handy look up tool to find out how fast you could charge your car.
How can I control my home EV charger?
It depends on the charger. At Cord, we’ve made it as simple as possible to control your home EV charger through an easy-to-use app available on Apple and Android devices. The app allows you to monitor charging progress, schedule more cost-efficient charging sessions during off-peak hours, and keep track of your charging costs. Find out more here.
Home EV charging with Cord brings convenience and affordability to electric vehicle ownership. With our expert guidance and seamless installation services, you can enjoy a stress-free and efficient charging experience in the comfort of your own home.